Null vs WH Exploration Preference

• For a few months I have lived in space and only docked to drop off loot and buy stuff to refit/resupply. I spent some of the time in wh space only or nullsec only (other than the whs needed to get to low/high sec space). At this point I prefer less travelled nullsec space over wh. I am wondering what others' preferences are and why.

Fyi, I am doing this in a Helios.

• The post above is me.

• Wormholes, because that's where our rescue caches and stranded pilots are! 🙂

• I'm doing some null now but over the last year or so I've mostly been in wormholes. I think I like the quiet of them and how easy it is to hide. Also, as I'm in the SAR program, they're where we do rescues and rescue caches. It's typically easier to get to a rescue from a wormhole as k-space exits and routes to Thera are easier to come by.

• #wormbro4lyfe

• Wormholes normally, for the same reasons as Thrice, looking for lost pilots. I'm distracted by other projects currently but we do have a lot of pilots out there scanning. I've havent really got my skills to a level to do nullsec exploration effectively and I'm not driven by isk.

• I like WH space for a few reasons:

1. That is where the the rescue cache work is done...and that is fun for me.
    2. That is where the lost pilots are, and Search and Rescue is my favorite part of this game.
    3. It is quiet, but still exciting because you never know who is there with you trying to kill you.
    4. That is where the sleepers are, and they must be eradicated.
    5. Finally....the hacking loot is pretty profitable.

• I spend most of my time in WH space for many of the reasons above (the quietness, the tension, ESRC and SAR, etc), but I do like to go to NS on occasion. Generally, that's when I'm looking to make a quick billion, run sleeper caches, or defend my title as two-time winner of @Johnny-Splunk's exploration race 🙂

Plenty of isk can be found in NS and wormholes, but Sansha space in NS is arguably more profitable than any solo WH activity you can do on a single account (not including things like PI or multiboxing).

• @Angel-Lafisques It's interesting you say tension. I am much more tense in null than in wormholes. Could be my GAD but seeing people in local raised my anxiety levels. Plus, even the quiet parts of null seem to have more people than most wormholes.

• @Igaze said in Null vs WH Exploration Preference:

even the quiet parts of null seem to have more people than most wormholes.

How do you know?? 😉 When I decloak in a WH, I feel like someone is always looking over my shoulder - that cloaky proteus is watching everything I do, waiting for the worst moment to decloak. I generally make safes and perches in WHs, but you never know what's on the other side of a WH - there could be a camp or untold riches!

In NS, everything is known. I know who/if anyone is in local with me, I can look them up on zkill, and decide what I want to do. Sure, sometimes I get someone chasing me, but I'm usually not caught unless I'm doing something stupid, in which case I kind of expect it (hacking with Tuffle and Hooch in-system with me, for example). I have gate perches in all the systems I visit, and I can tank most SB camps.

• Wormholes in an Astero 😃

Might do some null exploration once I have skilled into interceptors

seeing people in local raised my anxiety levels.

They don't really bother me - if they look like they are ratting and if I have a wild hair I may carefully run a site or two. Otherwise I just move on to the next system. I plan my route based on the number of jumps in the last hour on the F10 map, so I'm really focusing on empty systems.

• @Angel-Lafisques You're right I don't know but I think I prefer that. I make safes and perches everywhere and unless I see someone I play like no one is there. Maybe there is but unless they land on grid with me, extremely rare, it doesn't bother me.

I'm certainly not saying my reaction is rational, it's definitely not. My anxiety reactions in general aren't rational. I can't pick up a phone to make a call without heart palpitations. 😃

• @Angel-Lafisques said in Null vs WH Exploration Preference:

hacking with Tuffle and Hooch in-system with me, for example

My favorite Stain resident!

@Angel-Lafisques You're right I don't know but I think I prefer that. I make safes and perches everywhere and unless I see someone I play like no one is there. Maybe there is but unless they land on grid with me, extremely rare, it doesn't bother me.

I'm certainly not saying my reaction is rational, it's definitely not. My anxiety reactions in general aren't rational. I can't pick up a phone to make a call without heart palpitations. 😃

You fear the known; I fear the unknown. I wonder what that says about our psyches. 🙂

• That is a good way off putting it that wh has more tension (and content) because of no local and empty null is ussually a better isk making endevour.

I think the isk making of null caught my attention but I am still trying to build a bankroll.

I do ponder coaxing some nullsec locals to chase me in my helios (with an empty cargo hold of course). Null is boring with local and no one in it.

• @Nardieu-Gaterau said in Null vs WH Exploration Preference:

wh has more tension (and content) because of no local

Aren't they about the same, what with the current state of local and all 😆

• If making isk is your goal, nullsec is superior, assuming you can get out alive.

Since making isk isnt my primary focus, I stay in WHs. Cause caches.

• WH life for me, but i always stick my nose into any null-sec connections I find, just to see if there's any unclaimed data/relic sites 🙂

• @Nardieu-Gaterau In my experience no coaxing is necessary! Of course, if you really want to get chased, having a full cargohold is just the thing! 🙂